Tuesday, August 23, 2011

So it goes ....

"Slaughter House Five! Isn't that an awful name?"

"Slaughterhouse-Five? That's a great book."

"Maybe in another town it's a great book."

"In any town."

Ten points if you can tell me where that come from.

I have been reading/listening to Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Disclaimer, I am not exactly recomending this book. I can definitely understand why it is contreversial, but I am also not, not recomending it. It has some great lines like:
"It is hard when you have to pinch every penny until it screams." Man do I know that story.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that reading classics is a good idea, and everyone should read a few, as an adult. It doesn't count when you are in junior high and highschool and the teacher forces it. It is different when you are grown up and have more life experience. Plus you don't have math and science homework you need to get to.

The reason I read classics is so I know what people are talking about. After I started reading them, I couldn't believe how many references are made to them. Case in point with the Footloose referrence above. I know why she thinks the book is awful and I know why he is defending it.

These books are called classics for a reason. They stand the test of time, and thought they may not be your bag, I still think it is a worthwhile activity to pick up one now and again.

My suggestions are: Wuthering Heights for romantics.
Uncle Tom's Cabin for political and historical interest.
Catcher in the Rye for teen angst.
Anna Karenina because it has a cool ending.

1 comment: