Friday, July 13, 2012

Finding My Voice

 I think it was three years ago I had a cool dream and decided I should write a book about it.  I didn't think about how I should say things, or what the readers would think, I just wrote it.  I ended up re-writing the entire story at least four times.  I changed the ending significantly, I decided I had written it in the wrong point of view, and I thought the first draft was just kind of dumb.  I made huge mistakes in querying and ended up trashing the entire project. 

After that, I joined a writing club, started going to seminars and classes, and began to perfect my craft.  I talked to people about my stories, got opinions, and changed my writing for the better - or so I thought. 

I know friends and family are biased and therefore don't usually have objective opinions, but my mom said something significant to me a few days ago.  She said she liked the first book better.  That the characters were more real, that she could identify with them.  Though I think the story is underdeveloped- the difference is- it is true to my voice.  I didn't write it to please anyone but me. 

Now I know with my current WIP to stay true to me, and write for me.  Hopefully other people will like it, but if they don't, it doesn't matter.  I do this for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment