Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cut to the chase

My dad has said this all my life. It is when someone is telling a story and giving you all of these unimportant and usually irrelevant pieces of information. You just want to scream, "Cut to the chase!" You know the chase, like the exciting part of a movie. The part where things are actually happening, the interesting part everyone wants to skim to reach.

I find myself yelling this at books all the time. I know how hard it is to start a story. I have rewritten my first chapter at least 5 times and I'm still not sure it is right, I mean you have to have some background in order to make things interesting.

I read a book recently that had a good idea of how to cut to the chase. Make sure every scene is somehow pushing the book forward. Make sure there is a specific reason for it to be there, that it has something to do with the ending. Don't write things just because you think it is a cute, cool, or fun scene. It is tempting, we all do it, but it slows down the story, even takes the reader out, and then sometimes (if they are like me) you don't get them back.

This is something I have been working on and I think it is worth a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment