Monday, May 21, 2012

Have You Published Your Book Yet?

I get asked this question every time I go to a family party or see friends I haven't seen for awhile. While I realize they are only trying to be nice, to act interested in what's going on in my life, the question can feel like a dig. Plus it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Unless I want to self-publish, which I am not against just not there yet, I really don't do any of the publishing. What they could ask is: Do you have an agent yet? Sadly the answer would be a big resounding NO. But even if I did it would be years before I actually had a tangible product to show them. Yes show them not give them as I want it to be my profession after all. The more I learn the more I understand, this is a process, and a slow one at that. So I guess my point is, if anyone knows an author, ask about their book, but don't act like getting published is the only accomplishment. I wrote a book consisting of 75,000 words. That is pretty cool in and of itself. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment