Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Trying to overcome the fear

Right now I am nearly paralyzed with fear, and when I am afraid of something I just procrastinate it for as long as possible. I don't think I can come up with anymore excuses though, it is time. Time to start sending out queries and trying to get an agent.

The reason I am so afraid is because of past failures. A few years ago I wrote a book and thought okay, great, wrote a book, send it out. Anyone who knows anything about publishing could tell you what a mistake that is. Thankfully, I joined the League of Writers and learned the process.

So this time, I wrote the book and then edited it 12 times. I had other people read it and then edited it again. Then I paid a local company to edit it. Then went through it a few more times.

Then I wrote my query letter. I read a book about writing query letters, I attended several conferences about it. I read tons of examples on the Internet. Then I begged a local author who wrote the book I read about querying to take a look at my letter. She graciously did, and sent back some changes.

For the last few months I have been using the excuse of the synopsis. I attended a conference where they gave some good advice. I read some examples and some advice on the Internet. I had a few people read it, and then sent it to my most trusted writing friend to review.

Now I am basically out of excuses, but I am still to afraid to send it out. I don't think the work could be anymore ready, but it is still bound for rejection. Tons and tons of rejection. Tomorrow I will test it, and send out a query letter, and hope for the best.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you. I know that when the time is right you WILL succeed. :)

    ReplyDelete