Monday, March 26, 2012

The Glass is Half Empty

I'm a half empty glass kind of person. I don't see it as being pessimistic, I see it as realisitic. I mean, if the glass has potential for more, it is only half full. But something got me to thinking the other day, and I realized it is all about persepective and where you are in your life.

I was at my brothers house and he was saying how sad a life his autistic twins live that being allowed to play in the front yard was a huge treat. I told him it was kind of beautiful, the way they could be so happy about something so small. I was thinking of my own kids who took major outings to feel like something was memorable.

Another friend of mine said how she wished someone had told her ten years ago how perfect her life actually was. She was sad she had wasted so much time trying to change it. I had a simliar experience and told her that we all felt that way, and hindsight is 20/20, as they say. But I also thought maybe if someone would have told us this years ago, we wouldn't have listened, because we weren't ready to hear it.

All this got me to thinking about character arcs. Sometimes it feels like we need to make something vastly significant happen to change them, but really all it takes is a change in their persepctive. A way to make them look at things differently. And maybe something bad, will turn into to good, if we all just look at it a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment